Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Hannibal Missouri, not so misera-ble after all!

Savanna has started making this really funny face, sticking out her lips! (Usually if sun gets in her eyes or wind blows in her face)







Saturday we took a fun trip down to Hannibal Missouri, it's the home of Mark Twain and his lovable characters like Huck Finn. We went on a riverboat tour up and down the Mississippi. It was fun to be on the river and hear some interesting facts about it and the surrounding area. Alex's favorite part was when he found the drums left by the band that plays for the dinner tour. He really wanted to find the drum sticks so he could "drum the beat"!! After the river tour, we went to the very tourist-y downtown area and walked through some of the shops. There were tons of antique shops as well as an extensive museum tour you can take--we didn't think an hour and a half tour through old houses would captivate our two little ones, so we skipped the tour and just walked around and looked at the outsides of the buildings. I think my favorite part was when Alex climbed up on a platform where performances are done that had a huge vinyl sign or covering on it. Well it turned out that it also had collected a bit of water from the storm that passed through earlier that day and when Alex tried to jump, he slipped right down into that puddle like it was a slip and slide. Luckily I was holding his hand, so though I didn't prevent the soaking he got, he didn't get hurt and we laughed till we cried!! Well, I was almost crying--Alex, thankfully was just laughing!! I can't remember the last time I laughed that hard, I just kept looking at my boy who looked like a poor drowned rat, and would start laughing again.
We got some ice cream after that--you know, to cool down. :) It was a very warm, muggy day so Alex didn't get cold. We did buy him a shirt so he could go home dry. By the time we left it was almost five. We didn't get outside of the city limits before Alex was asleep in his carseat--poor guy was exhausted. We were looking back at July and every week one or all of us has been out of state, not just out of town, doing something and it's not over. Keith is up at the corporate headquarters in Minneapolis to do his presentation and will be up there until Friday, and then next week we leave!! In July we were in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, and Missouri. This month we'll be in even more states as we travel out to Washington and back to Provo! I'm starting to really look forward to things like my griddle, cheese grater (though I have enjoyed spoiling myself by buying shredded cheese), and mixing bowls!! :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lisa! How are you? I just found this from the MBASA blog. Love your post about HOPE. Very good. I hope you guys have a great trip back! Good luck with the upcoming school year! Oh and congrats on the little one laughing - I agree it is such a wonderful sound! Makes all that hard work worth it.

    ReplyDelete