Friday, July 10, 2009

Becoming a 'stay-at-home mom'

A good friend of mine came to visit the other day with her three little boys (who are so cute!) and we were talking about being home all day with kids....I told her how it's hard sometimes because up until the time I had Alex I was working full-time at a busy office and now that I'm home it feels like by the end of the day I haven't gotten ANYTHING done. She told me, you have to learn to look at it differently. You have to consider how many diapers you changed and how many times you fed and put to sleep your baby. That adds up. It was good advice. I'll have to keep that in perspective. Time sure is different though. I look at the clock and can't believe how the time has past already and all I've done is get up, feed Alex, eat breakfast, feed Alex, get dressed, get Alex dressed.....:)

So another side-effect of being home with a verbally unresponsive person all day long whom I'm supposed to talk to, is that my talking to him has expanded my talking to other things...I was getting some grapes out of the fridge and I dropped the bag...my immediate response was, "I'm sorry". I realized immediately my folly--I don't need to apologize to the grapes, they don't care-they don't have any feelings and won't ever respond. :) Ah, can't wait for Keith to come home so I have someone to talk to that talks to me too.

2 comments:

  1. I completely understand the stay at home thing. Its very different...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. That is so funny that you were chatting it up with the grapes. I only got to be home for 2 months with Liam and didn't get to that point, but I can see how that might happen for sure! ;)

    ReplyDelete