Thursday, January 3, 2013

2012 "Christmas" Letter

This would normally be my annual Christmas message that we post on the blog and email out to people, but given that I’ve clearly already missed the deadline for Christmas, it’s now become an end-of-year message.  In a way, though, you should all appreciate that more because back when it was a Christmas message you can bet your life on the fact that as I sat down each year to write the message I only considered family happenings from the calendar year in which I was writing and did not remember the fact that any happenings from in between the last Christmas message and the start of the new year went unreported.  So you’re getting a full week-and-a-half of coverage on this message that you wouldn’t have normally gotten!

As other people we know have sent us their Christmas letters this year, I’ve noticed a trend towards sending a shorter “Top 10” or “Top 12” list of the highlights for that family in that year.  It works as an abbreviated version of the Christmas letter that gives you a quick rundown on what’s happened to the family during the year but without forcing you to read through a lengthy letter.  I’m intrigued by the structure of this, and as such I’ve decided to craft my letter this year in that kind of format, however you may be disappointed to know that I’m not going to hold myself to any of the brevity that the other lists I’ve seen contain.  I’m unabashedly going to wax eloquent on each of the Top 10 list, so buckle up and get ready for the . . .

JONES FAMILY TOP 10 HIGHLIGHTS OF 2012

(It’s worth mentioning from the outset that it’s really weird to pin down a relative ordering of these things, so know now that the ranking is somewhat fuzzy and does not necessarily represent relative value of these things.  Though I have tried to order it roughly on cumulative impact of each happening on the whole family.)

10.  Keith ran in two 5k’s

That’s right, you heard me.  Two of them.  That’s a total of 10 kilometers that I ran this year.  Well, at least during races.  Lisa was able to find a zombie-themed 5k this year in St. Louis (which was one of the craziest experiences I’ve ever had since this race had obstacles, mud, and people dressed as zombies out on the course trying to steal flag-football-esque flags from you as you ran.  I ended up covered in mud and had no flags left by the end), and in a burst of energy I went to a Veterans Day 5k in Hannibal.

9.  Alex can write his name

His penmanship is not amazing (though maybe for a 3 ½ year old it is), and he doesn’t necessarily write all the letters in the correct order (he has more of an avant-garde attitude about his signature), but he knows the correct order and once, when asked, wrote all the letters in the correct order.  And that counts!  I’m actually really excited about this, because it means he’s inching closer to being able to read (this has to be some sort of precursor, right?) and I think he’s really going to enjoy reading.


8.  We bought a minivan

A slightly-used Toyota Sienna, to be exact.  That’s the Swagger Wagon, for those of you who remember the commercials from a couple years ago.  We decided we’d get ahead of the curve (see highlight #4) and get a minivan before we were absolutely crammed into our old Honda Accord (which we were kind of getting to as the kids got bigger).  I like to think we’ve happily taken to being one of “those people” who own minivans.  They’re honestly pretty awesome—we’ve managed to haul some pretty amazing things we never could have in our Accord (a kitchen table and six chairs, all manner of luggage, rolled up carpet inside the vehicle without opening any windows).  It’s also made it a lot more enjoyable to go on road trips, which we’ve done a few of this year (the built-in DVD player does help with the kids, though now we have to have the frequent conversation with the kids of “No, we’re not putting in the movie—we’re only going to be in the car for 3 minutes as we drive home from church!”).  I’ve heard that there are license plate covers that you can get out there that say “Swagger Wagon” but I still haven’t found them.  I’m keeping an eye out, though.


7.  Keith graduated (for the 2nd time)

April was the culmination of about two years of coursework and effort as I was awarded a Masters of Business Administration from the Marriott School of Management at BYU.  My MBA had an emphasis in Organizational Behavior/Human Resources and a got a Minor in Information Systems.  It was a fascinating two years and I learned a ton of things that I’m proud to say I actually use at work and at home (highlights include teaching some coworkers about decision-making and carrying on a negotiation with a door-to-door salesman).   Along the way, I met a ton of impressive people amongst both my professors and my classmates!


6.  Savanna grew from crawler to runner

Considering our youngest started out the year 8 months old and ended the year 20 months old, this isn’t really a shocking highlight, but it has definitely been exciting to watch her as she’s grown and progressed along the way.  She babbles all the time now and actually uses a somewhat extensive vocabulary of understandable words (given her age).  The newest phrase I heard this evening (see, you wouldn’t have gotten this if I’d written this at Christmas) was “Mommy time out”, which she said as Lisa left the room to go put our son Alex in time out.  It feels like we hear a new word out of her every day, almost, and it’s nice to be able to communicate a little more with her than before.



5.  Our children can play together

Somewhat, at any rate.  With Savanna at 20 months old and Alex at 3 ½ years old we’re actually getting to a place where they can play with each other without too much adult spurring and still have fun together for an extended period of time.  Their most favorite game seems to be any one of a number of variants of chasing each other back and forth around the house (I suspect this is a favorite because it doesn’t really involve sharing toys, which is still a sore point with them).  On the occasions when it does happen, it’s really helpful (especially to Lisa) to know that they can entertain each other for a little bit.  We are still working on their interpersonal skills, though.  J


4. Lisa’s pregnant with our third baby

We are right about halfway through the pregnancy (Lisa’s due towards the end of May 2013), and we should know the gender in about 3 weeks.  If it’s a boy we’re going to name it Cadwallader Humphrey Bogart Jones, and if it’s a girl we’ll name it Tinkerbell.  (Just Tinkerbell—no last name or anything like that—we’re trying to stay true to the character.)  Actually, we aren’t really even going to start coming up with names until we know the gender.  But we’re excited to have a third child join the family and to see what adjustments come with that!  (One of those adjustments will NOT be getting used to a minivan, I can tell you that for sure!)

3.  We’re part of an LDS branch, rather than a ward

With our recent move (more on that later), we are now part of one of the Church’s branches, which is the first time either Lisa or I have been in a branch since we were on our respective missions.  As branches go it’s actually a rather large branch, with sacrament meeting attendance between 85-100 people each week.  It’s meant that there are plenty of places to pitch in and help, especially calling-wise.  I’ve been called as the 2nd counselor in the Branch Presidency, but was also simultaneously 2nd counselor in the Young Men’s Presidency until I was just recently released from the Young Men’s calling.  Lisa is Primary President, but also occasionally moonlights as Activity Days Leader and Nursery Leader.  There’s plenty to do in the Branch, but it also feels like a more tight-knit group as a result.  Savanna just started in Nursery in October, and Alex is about to become a Sunbeam at the start of 2013.  One of the pluses of being  in a branch is that we’ve been able to interact with the missionaries a lot more than in previous wards (especially Utah wards) and we’ve enjoyed having them over for dinner…a lot.


2.  We live in a house

We’re only renting, so we’re not homeowners yet, but we’re still enjoying the first time that we’ve lived in a house since we’ve been married.  We were getting very cramped with the four of us in our 2-bedroom apartment in Utah, and it’s been wonderful to have the space of a house for the kids to run around in.  We love that we still haven’t maxed out storage space in here, and the kids are really enjoying the unfinished basement as a tricycle-riding play area.  The house has a rather nice yard as well that the kids have loved playing in and that I rather enjoyed decorating up for Halloween this year and that Lisa has had to mow more times than I would care to admit to.  I think what I really enjoy the most is seeing the kids actually have space to run around in, and that we have room to have more than 2 or 3 people over  without it being ridiculously cramped.


1.       Keith started working for General Mills and we moved to Hannibal, Missouri

The big change in our lives has definitely been the move to Hannibal and the new job for me.  I’ve been working as an Associate HR Manager in the HR department of General Mills’ Hannibal plant for 7 months so far, and have really enjoyed it for a number of reasons.  The plant I work at employs about 900 employees and makes around 10 very different kinds of products, which has meant that there’s always something going on and that there’s been a ton for me to learn.  I’m finding opportunities to work on projects that play to my strengths and that are interesting for me, and I have a very supportive group of coworkers.  And I really like working for a company that manages such well-known brands as Cheerios, Chex, Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, and Larabar. 


Hannibal has been a fun city for us to live in so far.  There’s only 19,000 people in Hannibal, so it’s definitely a smaller city than what I’m used to, but we haven’t found that we’ve missed all that much being out here.  Lisa has made some great friends from the Branch out here, and they get together often (and are frankly doing a much better job of staying in shape than I’m doing with my two 5ks).  Hannibal is Mark Twain’s hometown, and as such has a lot of local areas and people which served as inspiration for things in Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn.  But we’ve also enjoyed the few opportunities we’ve had to serve as a waypoint for friends and family from out of state who have been typically on their way to Nauvoo or other areas in the vicinity. 

So that’s the list. It’s definitely been an eventful year!  We’re continually grateful to have all of you in our lives and for the chances we’ve had to interact with you during the year.  The Lord has truly blessed us throughout this year in a number of ways, and as 2012 comes to a close we’re keenly aware of all that he does for us.  I hope 2013 ends up being a wonderful year for all of you, and if you’re ever in the Iowa-Missouri-Illinois area let us know—we’d love to have you over or at least see you, if it works out!  Happy New Year and may God bless you during this coming year!

Love,

The Jones Family (Keith, Lisa, Alex, Savanna, and little baby Buford/Hilda/Carlisle)

1 comment:

  1. Chasing is our kids main mode of playing together too, though recently, they've added "huggies" which is pretty much tackling and just kind of worrisome from my perspective.

    ReplyDelete