Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Farewell Steve #2

So about a month or two ago we noticed that one of our guppies loked like 'he' was a pregnant 'she'. We closely monitored it since the whole pregnancy cycle of a guppy apparently only lasts 28 days. Days went by and it's belly seemed to grow but never really matched the pictures we found online. Well about two weeks ago....right before Red, our betta fish died we realized that Steve had a fungus growing on his side so we quarantined him and treated the fungus. It went away and he was returned to the aquarium with his friends. Well he was sort of ostrasized by the other guppies and after a couple days was attacked during the night. We don't know which fish attacked him, but when we woke up he was missing his tail fins (we suspect the betta-Moby) he was still swimming but kept even more to himself and was usually at the top swimming close to the surface. We were hopeful that he might recover....

Steve is dead.

After work one day Keith was holding Alex and I was looking in on the fish. I couldn't find Steve #2, until I noticed a decapitated head swishing in the bottom current near the castle. We weren't sure who got him this time (though we suspect the Bala Shark), and we weren't sure what to do, do we leave the head to be finished off by some other carniverous scavenger?? Yep, turns out if you leave a fish head at the bottom of the tank overnight, it will be gone in the morning. At least, that's how it turned out in this case.

Steve is dead and gone.

Hope he was tasty guys.

(Keith says, "Eat them up, yum." while singing a creepy song, he claims it's a real song.)

6 comments:

  1. 'Fish heads, fish heads, rolly poly fish heads!' Is that the song? :)

    Sorry to hear that he's gone. If you get a replacement, hopefully the others won't be such bullies to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ewww! That's morbid! It brings back all my bad childhood fish memories! Poor Steve....
    (I want to hear the song, though...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Pam, that's the one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's totally the song, Pam. Yay for Dr. Demento!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard the song so many years ago and it always seems to get stuck in my head :S

    Melissa, you can do a YouTube search, there are a lot of videos people have made to the song :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa, come by...I'm sure Keith would love to sing it again....it's not so much the song as the voice he put to it...and in the context :) I'm so glad I have such a fun husband!

    ReplyDelete