I'm rapidly learning that our son has a very clear idea of what he wants and what's acceptable to him. Last night, while Lisa was at mutual, I was playing with Alex and I went into the kitchen to get a Keebler Fudge Stripe cookie that Lisa picked up because 1) it would enable her to get $1 off of the purchase of milk, 2) our house had no cookies at the time, and 3) our house should have cookies on hand. As I was getting the cookie, Alex tuned in with his uncanny food-detecting sixth sense that he uses to identify any point when Lisa or I are getting food from the kitchen, even if he's taking a nap at the time.
So Alex toddled into the kitchen and saw that I had a cookie in hand, and that I was taking a bite of it. Naturally, he wanted a cookie too (he understands the finer things in life), so he came up to me with that cute look on his face, motioning for a cookie. Well, I figured I'd give him some of mine, and since I had about a half of a cookie left, I broke off about a quarter of that and handed it to him. He took it in his cute little hand, looked at it for a second, and then looked up at me with a remarkably incredulous expression on his face that clearly communicated to me the sentiment, "Seriously, Dad. You're kidding me, right? This can't be all that your going to give me." So I thought, "Well, he often likes to eat things with both hands full, and maybe that's what he's going for here." So I broke off a second quarter of the cookie and handed it to him. He took that piece, and then looked at me again with a very similar face, only this time (implicitly) saying to me, "You're really not getting this, are you . . . Fine, then." And then he grabbed the rest of the cookie out of my hand and proceeded to chow down happily, having taught me that my meager offerings were initially an affront to him, but that I was now forgiven since the cookie eventually ended up where it was apparently supposed to be from the start of it all.
Next time I'll know better: my son expects the whole cookie. Period.
All I can say is this: do not teach him the word broken. Kayla will NOT accept a broken cookie (or anything broken for that matter). She insists on getting the whole thing and in one piece. Sometimes it does work to my advantage though. :)
ReplyDeleteI am left wondering if you haven't yet introduced him to Cheesits?
ReplyDeleteI saw your comment about the reunion, would love to attend, email is the same name as the blog (minus the "the") through gmail.