Sunday, January 23, 2011

Pieced quilt and Lullaby's

Alex is so adorable!! Sometimes I just sit back and watch and go, awwww. :) Keith finds this amusing, especially since it has increased in frequency now that I'm full of pregnancy hormones. The other night we were watching a show called, "The Pajanimals". It's a Jim Henson production of this animal family getting ready for bed and they sing a simple little lullaby that goes, 'la, la, lullaby, la, la, lullaby, sing, sing, sing with us a la, la, lullaby'. Alex started singing with them on the la's in that cute soft toddler voice of his! He also has been a little sick this week-he has a cold and has had quite a few 'down-time' moments where he just wants to cuddle. This is pretty unusual for him-normally he is running and busy the whole day and only holds still if he's going to sleep and you've got a bottle for him! Friday morning, Keith didn't have to go into school and so he was around that morning. Alex led him to the couch, had him sit, climbed up into his lap with his blankie, some juice and just cuddled!

I'm on the service commitee in the MBA spouses association (MBASA) and this last week we did a Humanitarian project-last Sunday night, while talking to the girl I was co-in-charge with, it was decided that I would get the quilt ready to be tied and she would organize the donations and buy what we didn't get donated for some hygiene kits. The activity was Wednesday, so that didn't give me a whole lot of time to get the quilt ready. Monday Alex and I went up to the fabric store and Alex really liked a monkey patterned flannel, so we got that with some contrasting yellow. That night after Alex went to bed, I cut out the squares and started to piece together the quilt. This was the first pieced quilt I've done that was full sized (72"x90") and no pattern, just me figuring out what sizes I needed and how much of each minus the seams to come out with the right size in the end. Tuesday I finished it and was quite proud of how it turned out! I was very glad that I decided it was time to invest in a roto-type-cutter, that made all the difference in preparing the squares! I was so grateful for Alex patience with me as I sewed and sewed and Keith's help and support as I calculated and re-calculated the measurements and what that meant as far as yards depending on the various widths of fabrics, etc!
Here's the quilt, waiting to be tied!
Alex enjoying some broccoli! He hasn't been eating well since he hasn't felt well--I'm glad he's at least eating his veges!

No comments:

Post a Comment