Sunday, February 20, 2011

Messes!!

After church today we were watching some old videos of Alex. One was of him eating mashed potatoes in his high chair--probably about 7 months old--a good and MESSY meal. Alex watches for a minute and then says, "Mess, Uh-oh!! Mess!!!" Keith and I looked at each other and just started laughing. 

In other happenings, yesterday we had a rainy day. During a break between showers, Alex really wanted to get outside and breath some fresh air, so he and Keith went out to play. Soon Keith was motioning for me to come out and see what our precious boy was up to...this is what I found:

 Puddle Jumping!!! Yes our child has discovered the joys of puddle jumping. Keith says that he didn't teach him, but he did encourage it once it started. Alex does this 'flash dance' stomping thing--usually to music as part of his dancing or to the 'If you're happy and you know it, stomp your feet' verse of that song. Well he easily cross-applied this fun trick while standing in a puddle.



Enjoying his jaunt with Daddy!!!
This was one of many fun times in the kitchen. I had a can of frosting that was pretty close to gone that I gave to Alex to finish off--if you can't tell, he quite enjoyed himself and when all that was to be gotten was apparently gotten he pointed to the cupboard where I had a full can that he'd obviously seen and said, "another one". Um, no Alex, you cannot have another one!

Earlier in the week, I was making pie dough for dinner (chicken pot pie)--Alex LOVES when I do anything involving rolling out dough on the table using flour. He loves to sneak a bite here and there and thinks, I believe, that I put the flour out for his own pleasure. He must really enjoy the texture of the flour as it slips under his fingers because when I took the pie plate to the counter to work on it to avoid his snitching dough I soon hear him laughing really hard. I turn around and see him sweeping his hands back and forth through the remaining flour--absolutely covered in it and laughing with pure delight and then repeating the procedure. I just smiled and said to myself, 'what fun exploring, good thing he, the table, the floor, etc are all washable'.
Don't think he's some out of control child being indulged in all the time. He does have limits, they just aren't as fun to share and write about. I do believe that there is a lot of fun exploring that children should do and they happen to involve messes and I'm usually ok with that. He's pretty good at cleaning up most of the messes that he makes.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I held Alex as a newborn! It has been too long! ...And you are pregnant with number 2! Congrats. Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're such a good mommy!

    ReplyDelete